Industrial Hygiene Testing
Since our initial organization in 1986, the Clark Testing Industrial Hygiene Laboratory has supported testing and quality assurance programs for both light and heavy industry, including aluminum and steel production and fabrication, petroleum refining, power generation, and consulting firms.
Beginning in 1986, we have been accredited by AIHA-LAP, LLC (American Industrial Hygiene Association Laboratory Accreditation Program), following ISO 17025 quality guidelines. We are successful participants in the AIHA Proficiency Analytical Testing (PAT) program, which occurs quarterly.
Occupational exposure to Crystalline Silica occurs when working with such items as rock/stone, ceramics, brick, and concrete. Exposure occurs when the dust particles become airborne; typically by means of cutting, sawing, drilling, or crushing such materials. Silica exposure is common in construction, manufacturing, foundries, and fracking.
In 2016, OSHA established a new rule for Crystalline Silica Exposure: https://www.osha.gov/silica/index.html
The new rule lowers the permissible exposure limit (PEL) to 50 ug/m3 averaged over an 8-hour Shift. Clark Labs follows NIOSH 7500 for Crystalline Silica; we also take note of any interferences in the analysis. We can analyze your Air samples as well as Bulk materials.
Occupational exposure to Beryllium may be noted in non-ferrous foundries and the production and fabrication of metal/metal alloy and ceramics, in addition to construction, for example. In 2017, OSHA plans to issue a rule for Beryllium Exposure: https://www.osha.gov/berylliumrule/index.html
The new rule lowers the permissible exposure limit (PEL) to 0.2 ug/m3 averaged over an 8-hour Shift. The new rule also establishes a short term exposure limit of 2.0 ug/m3 over a 15-minute sampling period. Clark Labs follows NIOSH 7102, NIOSH 7302 and NIOSH 7304; yielding Reporting Limits as low as 0.0025 ug/sample. We routinely analyze Air samples as well as various Bulk materials.
All samples are prepared and analyzed by X-ray Diffraction according to NIOSH 7500 which enables the lab to quantitatively determine Crystalline Silica. We report α-Quartz, Cristobalite, and Tridymite in air and bulk samples. Clark is accredited by AIHA-LAP, LLC for method: NIOSH 7500.
All samples are prepared by OSHA and NIOSH approved methods that include hot plate and microwave digestion. The samples are then analyzed by one of the following techniques:
- Flame Atomic Absorption Spectrometry (FLAA)
- Graphite Furnace Atomic Absorption (GFAA)
- Inductively Coupled Plasma Spectrometry (ICP)
Routine testing includes, but is not limited to:
- Beryllium, GFAA
- Lead, ICP
- Arsenic, ICP or GFAA
- Welding Fume Metals, ICP
Clark is accredited by AIHA-LAP, LLC for methods: NIOSH 7102, NIOSH 7302, and NIOSH 7304.
All samples are prepared by NIOSH and OSHA methods and analyzed by the following techniques:
- Gas Chromatography (GC)
- Ultra High Performance Liquid Chromatography (UHPLC)
We perform the analysis on Filter Cassettes, Sorbent Tubes, and Passive Monitors.
We routinely provide analysis of the following:
- Various Solvents - Benzene, Toluene, Xylene, etc.
- Polynuclear Aromatic Hydrocarbons
- Paraffin Wax Fume
- Total Hydrocarbons
The Organics Lab also offers special project analysis tailored to meet clients' specific needs. Clark is accredited by AIHA-LAP, LLC for methods: NIOSH 1400, NIOSH 1500, NIOSH 1501, NIOSH 1550, NIOSH 5506, and OSHA 58.
The IH Laboratory performs routine analysis of anions by Ion Chromatography to allow determination of:
- Acid Fumes – Hydrochloric Acid, Nitric Acid, etc.
- Sulfur Dioxide
- Nitric Oxide/Nitrogen Dioxide
In addition, Clark also provides the analysis of Hexavalent Chromium. Accredited to AIHA-LAP, LLC, we follow OSHA ID-215v2.
Other common tests performed by the IH Lab include:
- Gravimetric – Total/Respirable Dust, Welding Fume Particulate
- Extractions – Oil Mist, Benzene Soluble Fraction/Coal Tar Pitch Volatiles/Coke Oven Emissions
Gravimetric methods, NIOSH 0500, NIOSH 0600, and NIOSH 5042 also fall under our AIHA-LAP, LLC accreditation.
- Clark provides all of the necessary media to perform your air sampling.
- We will assist you in selecting the proper NIOSH or OSHA method necessary to carry out your sampling.
- We can help you determine what can be collected together on the same media.
- We will notify you of any special handling requirements for your samples.
- We have skilled staff trained in providing Qualitative and Quantitative Site Assessments for chemical exposure, noise, and heat stress.
- Clark offers an array of testing capabilities that can lead to a ‘one stop shop’